Monday, November 17, 2008

Mission. . . Accomplished? Sort of?

Well, despite my best efforts, I wasn't able to write 10,000 words yesterday. Having started the whole thing at 3pm, it was too hefty a goal to set; I was up until 5 in the morning (again, it's a damned good thing I don't have school today, or I'd be well screwed), but even so, I fell asleep at my keyboard. Which was a bit cool, actually. It's not something I've ever done before, and of all things, this made me feel most like a writer. Strange, isn't it? It wasn't the 9,300 words I wrote, or the editing, or the new scenes of characterization that added a depth to secondary characters that previously had no depth. . . . it was the falling asleep that did it for me. :P

Well. All was not lost.

As I mentioned, I did write 9,300 words, and that's nothing to scoff at. Today, when I woke up, I sat myself before my computer, cranked out the rest of my goal, and now, my word count rests comfortably in the six digits, at 100,214. Awesome.

It feels weird to say it. By many accounts, that's a whole book (80-125K is the size of a lot of general fiction, I'm told). If you're going for a Brandon-Sanderson-esque epic, then 100 thousand are just your first steps on a larger journey. That dude writes books around 250-400,000 words large. And good that he does; I've read every one of his books, and they're all fantastic. He pulls it off. I'm not sure I could.

Which is why I'm aiming for somewhere around 200-250K for Scamper. That, too, is a hefty goal, but I'll get here. Hell, I'm nearly halfway there already.

This was a lot of fun; frantic writing, damn the internal editor, just keep going and going, not always producing the greatest work (though a lot of it was pretty good, I daresay), but always producing.

Yesterday's epic goal was inspired by the need to reach, for the first time ever, a word count of 100,000. But I'm beginning to wonder if I couldn't make it a regular thing, where each weekend, I aspire to write 10,000 words in a day. A NaNoWriMo Light, if you will (only not really, because if I do it every weekend for a month, I'll have 40,000 words, which is just 10K less than the goal for NaNoWriMo.)

I'm excited about this. It's a hell of a prospect, I think, and I look forward to giving it another shot this weekend.


 


 

Wish me luck.

Cris.

No comments: